Mar 5, 2010

First week

I can't believe tomorrow is exactly one week since we moved to Tallinn! Crazy how fast time fly's. Its late and the boys, Taaniel and Christofer, our scheming away here in our office. I was apart of it for a little while, but now I am feeling tired and everything is starting to sound all mushy. I'd rather write in my blog  :)
 Today I was thinking about the difference betweens Swedes and Estonians, believe it or not Estonians are actually ruder than Swedes, yet once in awhile you can find a lone Estonian that suddenly lites up when you start speaking English. Well, actually, all the Estonians that have been kind to us thus far have usually had some sort of connection to America, sort of goes with out saying why they were nice.
   I have, however, been enjoying the difference between the Russian, Estonians, and the Estonians, you can almost instantly spot a Russian Estonian by the way they dress and their hairstyle. So Russian looking! I don't think I have ever seen so many fur coats, fur hats, and fur boots. I even spotted a pure white fur coat with  leopard spots, good luck keeping that clean.
 
  While crossing the road on our way to the office this morning I passed a whole entourage of tiny old ladies in their fur coats and fur hats slowly making their way into Mass, they were so cute and so short, most of them came up to my shoulders. It felt like a scene out of an old fashion movie, and  for a moment, I wanted to follow them into their little church and I imagined them kneeling down and bowing their heads in reverence in the bench that they have probably knelt in since they were young, giddy girls....


   Good morning, I didn't have enough energy to finish my above post, so I decided to finish today. Today the Sun is SHINING! YEP! It's amazing what the Sun can do, barely three steps outside my front door and I saw someone smiling! Nothing short of a miracle, Estonians and Russians do smile! hehe
  Well, one week exactly since we moved here, and now that my cold is on the mend, things are starting to feel just right!

 Some highlights of the week have been:

1. How everything came together at the last minute. On the boat we weren't even sure if we would be able to rent the office and the apartment seemed like a hopeless case. When we arrived Taaniel received e-mails regarding both and both had a green light. Taaniel definitely did a great job, where would we be with out our Estonian slave? hehehee No, seriously, without him we would be lost. Thanks T!

2. Our designer couch that we were able to buy for 200euros! Christofer and I walked into the first store that we saw on our way to the office and the guy that 'happened' to help us was the owner and once we told him that we were only going to be here two months, he automatically told us of three couches that they had in storage that someone had ordered and then disappeared. He even drove us out to the storage room. It came as no surprise that he has Norwegein ancestors and has lived in America. We are planning on having dinner sometime before we leave.

3.Our espresso machine, which we were able to rent for free, all we had to do was buy the pods. Not too bad of deal.

4. Our gym, the lady behind the desk gave us a reduced price. Working out on the 26th floor overlooking Tallinn is absolutely spectacular! Even the showers and sauna have a great view. Oh, and they give you fresh towels and a key to your locker room.

5. Since we have a espresso machine we were hoping for a refrigerator. The lady who let us rent the espresso machine had a friend that rents mini bars for only a 100eek. Barely 10 dollars.

My conclusion, God has richly blessed us and without him we wouldn't have been able to do any of this. All glory to him. And thanks for all the prayers.

I think I better get some work done.

Love, love, love

1 comment:

matilda said...

jag orkar inte på engelska nu! men iallfall,

det verkar som betelsgänget gick bra igårkväll. jag städade idag och det tog bara en halvtimme! dom hade nästan inte stökat till nånting... jag har beställt pandurogrejerna och dom var jättefina allihopa! vi har massvis emd påsk-pyssel. det är bra, jag måste komplettera lite bara. åh, så jag saknar dig! vad bra att ni ändå ahr det bra där nere i estland! kram kram kram kram kraaaaaaam!!