Jan 17, 2010

Reflections.

  Spent the better part of the morning looking through photos, reading blogs, and watching random videos about the earthquake in Haiti. So very saddening. One little girl was caught under her house for three days, they had a video of rescuers trying to free her, they didn't have the right tools to get her out so it took a very long time, you could hear her screams in the background, very haunting.
   Churches, organizations, and lots of different people are flocking to help. I'm amazed and challenged by those who drop everything and offer their lives to serve. I know we can't all be there right this moment, but it does shake you up a bit and make you realize how important it is that we have one another and most importantly that people are willing to help, be it in giving of time or money.

  I read an article from  Relevant recently where the writer stated that even though poverty isn't our fault it is our duty to do something about it. It is easy, at least for me, to feel overwhelmed and helpless, but I have to remember that it starts with the little things, not everyone can be a Mother Theresa or a Tom shoes, but if we are  willing and eager we can together make a difference. I want to help make a difference, unfortunately good intentions won't get me very far. I suppose it comes down to one step at a time.

    Also, I wanted to write a little note about my Aunt Sue, my Mom's brothers wife. She passed away on Wednesday, January 13, 2010, after a long and painful bout of cancer, she was a remarkable woman. I wish I had known her better, but the memories I do have of her are from my childhood. She use to teach my cousins and I many different songs about elephants and Gods creation. I still remember most of the words and have, in my turn, taught them to my children at work.

 May prayers surround my Uncle and my two cousins in their pain.




                                                               
                              
  
  








No comments: