Apr 25, 2010

Fair trade and all that stuff

I recently read an article in Relevant about the system of fair trade and sweatshop-free clothing. It's disturbing and makes me ashamed of not knowing better. I wish it was something more prevalent in the main stream media. Woman and children working in sweatshops to supply us with cheap clothing. Many stores fail to do proper research into how their workers are getting treated. The horrible thing is it's not limited to clothing. Coffee, chocolate, cell phones, the list goes on. Christofer and I talked about making sure to look things up before we buy them. Buying cheap clothing because its cheap, or saving 5 dollars just to buy the cheaper coffee, isn't worth it! I know we live in a unjust World and there will always be greedy people that use other people, but it's important to take the steps that we can. Like buying things that are fair trade and supporting companies that are dedicated to making a difference. It's crazy how the World has turned upside down so many times. To imagine Europe and America being the main cause of unjust treatment during the early 1900's. I remember reading about thousands of young girls dieing in the sweatshops in New York trying to save money for their families to make it to a Country where they could have a better life...We truly are a blessed nation, and yet its as if we fail to see it. I fail to see how blessed and privileged I am. Speaking of privileged it is an absolutely beautiful day here in Estonia and as the time is ticking away I better make sure we make it outside before the sun disappears. Next time you go to buy something don't always buy the cheaper product just because it's cheaper, find out what's behind the company. I know I'm going to try to.

Sincerely,
Lize

1 comment:

Abigayel-Bryce said...

Yes, I agree! It totally should be more in main steam media! Yet maybe thats the youth's job.. to promote sustainability and fair trade!